[DFWUUG:Discuss] DTrace enabled storage analytics (StorageMojo) and How Amazon builds the world's most scalable storage (StorageMojo on ZDNET)

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 03:51:08 CDT 2009

Two interesting topics.

(1)  DTrace enabled storage analytics
[Post excerpt]
For latecomers, Adam once defined DTrace as
. . . a systemic observability framework that’s designed explicitly
for use on mission-critical systems. It lets users and system
administrators get concise answers to arbitrary questions.
DTrace is available on Solaris, OpenSolaris and Mac OS X.
DTrace and Fishworks are a powerful combo. One more reason - along
with ZFS - that OpenSolaris is a better platform than Linux for
feature-rich storage.
<http://storagemojo.com/2009/03/12/dtrace-enabled-storage-analytics/>
[rdpcomment]
DTrace is also a very powerful profiling tool for software development.

[from post comments - reply to Anonymous]
Anonymous: they are making NAS/SAN appliances to eat Netapp’s lunch,
as well as some of EMC’s midrange stuff, and offering analytics as a
differentiator. Keep in mind that the UI is not open-sourced, only
DTrace is. DTrace is very mature now (it’s been available since the
first rev of Solaris 10, unlike ZFS), but the power also means a steep
learning curve. The Fishworks analytics UI masks all that complexity
and makes it usable for the average harried admin who can’t afford to
spend a week learning DTrace’s D scripting language.
[rdpcomment]
Sun is introducing some very interesting SSD devices engineered for
specific purposes which makes them very price competitive.

(2) How Amazon builds the world's most scalable storage
[Post excerpt]
The cloud storage market is accelerating fast - despite naysayers and
alarmists - and Amazon’s S3 is leading the charge. Storing over 40
billion files for 400,000 customers Amazon is the one to beat. How do
they it for pennies per GB a month? Read on.
I attended FAST ‘09, the best storage conference around, where Alyssa
Henry, S3’s GM, gave a keynote. Amazon doesn’t talk much about how
their technology works, so even the little Alyssa added was welcome.
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=416>

[rdpcomment]
I am having strong reservations about the future of Desktop Linux. It
is and has been a blessing for me because of the price and
functionality.
This may be an artifact of the Desktop?
One interesting alternative could be OpenSolaris (x86)?
Since I don't use Linux servers I can't comment knowledgeably about them.
My guess would be Linux servers are staying competitive. They are
where the money is.