[DFWUUG:Discuss] IO-InfoOnly: Web Browsers - Brief History And Evolution

Erick Guzowsky zaphod1 at swbell.net
Fri Oct 5 19:34:12 CDT 2007

I will have to disagree with your statement
regarding....
"1. The web enables infinite distribution of content
without any
special effort or infrastructure."

Where do you think all those connections and all that
storage are located on? You have to have quite a bit
of exotic equipment to prevent data loss and
destruction due to problems or individuals.
I feel that like many companies fail to recognize so
do many programmers and web developers fail to
remember that the data has to sit some where and have
a communication path to the internet and the
world...and all of it has to be maintained on a daily
basis.

JMHO,
Erick

<<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers>>

<<http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/002931.html>>

<<http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/11/speeding-up-browser-evolution>>

*[2][browsehappy]<<http://browsehappy.com/browsers/>>

<<http://www.dfwuug.org/wiki/Main/NuMeetingSchedule>>
> [...]
> Rich clients are regular desktop clients but
> Interent backend enhanced.
>
> "So, you ask, what is the next new user interface
> paradigm? It's
> called rich client. Think of it, sort of, as back to
> the future. A
> rich client runs software on the client, just like
> an old-fashioned
> client/server application. One of the main
> differences, though, is
> that with rich clients, the back-ends are now
> essentially all running
> only industry standard Internet protocols. SOA
> (Service Oriented
> Architecture), implemented using web services, is
> what makes it
> possible for rich clients to be able to emerge at
> this time.
>
> Back during the days of client/server computing,
> lots of applications
> were partitioned across multiple platforms using an
> Object Request
> Broker (ORB) like Microsoft's DCOM or OMG's CORBA as
> middleware. Other
> applications were partitioned at the database layer,
> sending SQL to a
> back-end RDBMS or an ODBC engine. The biggest
> problem with any of
> these older approaches was always security. Data
> packets just couldn't
> get past the firewalls. SOA-based web services
> bypass the whole
> firewall problem entirely by passing freely through
> port 80 just like
> plain old HTML web pages. The underlying
> breakthrough that makes SOA
> and rich clients possible is XML."
>
> What does all that mean?
>
> "Why are people going to rush to embrace rich
> clients? The answer is a
> user seductive interface. To the user the interface
> is the system.
> Have you ever held an Apple iPod in your hand? What
> makes the very
> word iPod nowadays share the same kind of brand
> power as, say, Kleenex
> or Band-Aid? It's not because Apple's player makes
> music sound better
> than other MP3 players. It's because the iPod's
> naturally intuitive
> user interface is awesome. Historically, the key to
> a killer interface
> has always been a feature known as direct
> manipulation. It's all about
> control. With SOA, suddenly it's possible to dream
> about all kinds of
> new and exciting ways for people to use computers
> for communicating,
> exploring, interacting, and being entertained.
>
> In addition to the appearance of some really
> cool-looking sexy new
> rich client-enabled controls, I'm also looking
> forward to rich
> client-enabled interfaces cropping up embedded
> within other products.
> Imagine being able, from within Excel, to easily
> access a service that
> automatically returns information directly into a

[Source:<<http://www.flashmapsystems.com/resources/articles/articles32.htm>>]

=== message truncated ===